Quilt Making – A Intermediate Class with Wendy Hatley
A three-day course:
Friday 18th, Saturday 19th, Sunday 20th January 2019
Time: 9:00am – 12:30pm, 1:30pm – 4:00pm
Cost: Standard $190 / Early-Bird $165
Venue: Whitireia Kapiti Campus
This quilt is made of 36 squares which are 12.5 inches square. The squares are made and quilted, then pieced together with strips at the end.
For the background you will need 36 x 12.5 in squares. These could be all the same fabric or different but similar fabrics. E.g. all cream. Or all black. Total of 4 m of fabric.
For the colours you need at least 3 fabrics. I used a lot more! Choose one style (mine are all bright batiks) or all florals or all types of blues, etc. this is a good quilt for scraps or fat quarters. I suggest you bring heaps of whatever you have to the class and choose as you go.
For the backing I used all different fabrics, 36x 13 in squares. Or one fabric you need 4m.
For the batting you can use up your edge pieces, you need to have all the same type of batting i.e. all cotton or all polyester. So again 36 x 13 in squares or 1.5 m of 2m wide batting.
For the joining strips (the dark blue) 1m fabric.
For the binding 0.7m.
You will also need vliesoflex (or similar) for the applique. 1.5m should be enough.
Bring to class
- Sewing machine. You must have a fully functional sewing machine that you know is working
- Extension cord and multi box
- Spare needles
- Thread to match the fabrics you have
- Quilting Cutter and quilting board
- Quilting ruler
- Tape measure
- Sewing pins (long ones are the easiest)
- Curved Quilters safety pins
- Masking tape
- Pen and note book
- Walking foot. Unless your machine has an integrated feed, you will need a walking foot for quilting. These are available online for few dollars but take few weeks to arrive so order it in time for the classes.
Any questions call Wendy: 027 467 9347